Facts and figures
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.Russell Group, a group of 24 leading UK research intensive universities.
We are the 9th largest university in the UK in terms of student numbers with a total estimated income for 2017/18 of £518m.
- 33,190 students
- £100M research contracts
- 84% student satisfaction
We have 33,190 students enrolled, representing over 130 countries.
- 23,960 undergraduates
- 9,230 postgraduates
- 8,620 international students (non-UK EU included)
- 84% overall satisfaction in National Student Survey 2019
- 1,000 students volunteer in the local community each year.
Student numbers confirmed by HESA for 2018/19.
Our graduates are sought-after by employers - more so than most other major UK universities.
- 95.7% of graduates enter employment, further study or both shortly after graduating*
- 160,000 alumni across the globe from more than 180 countries.
* HESA Destination of Leavers in Higher Education survey 2016/17
We have a world-leading research community with a strong and broad research base:
- 5th university nationally in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) on rankings based on quality
- 2nd university nationally in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) on rankings based on impact
- our research contract awards have a total value of £100m
- we have won six Queen's Anniversary Prizes
- more than £45m has been invested in Cardiff University/Fusion IP spinouts
- we are 8th in the UK for interactions with SMEs since 2008*
- we rank 5th in the UK for estimated turnover (£72m) of all active graduate start-ups during the period 2008/09 - 2013/14**
- our researchers include two Nobel Prize winners - Professor Sir Martin Evans and Professor Robert Huber.
*Encouraging a British Invention Revolution, Sir Andrew Witty, October 2013.
**Higher Education - Business Collaboration Interaction (HE-BCI).